Dear Kingfield Neighbors—
Thank you to everyone who responded to our November mailing prior to Give to the Max day and donated to the Kingfield Neighborhood Association; generous donors gave over $1500 to KFNA on this single day! However, we also know many of you were busy that day, prefer not to give online, or struggled with the broken online system that day so IF you missed out on that day to support the work that KFNA does, don’t worry—it’s not too late to make a year-end gift to KFNA, and all the great thank you gifts still apply! The donation levels and gifts for donors are listed once again here:
- $25 Communication Supporter. Receive the free weekly eNews at www.kingfield.org and “Like” Kingfield Neighborhood Association on Facebook! Unlimited quantity still available!
- $50 Public Art Lover. Mailed to your home, a pack of 4 Quilted Mosaic greeting cards, KFNA’s most recent public art project installed on MLK Park in 4/13. 10 Remaining!
- $75 Farmers Market Devotee. 1 pint sauerkraut handmade and delivered to your door by board member Chris Schleicher. 4 Remaining!
- $120 Local Business Supporter. A 12-pack of Butter Bakery Café cupcakes delivered to your home or office; date to be arranged with donor, Dan Swenson-Klatt, owner, & KFNA Board Member. 4 Remaining!
- $150 Shout-Out for My Wacky Neighbors! Receive a singing telegram on the date of your choice to the neighbor of your choice and (within reason) of the songs (3 max.) of your choice. 23 Remaining!
- $300 Kingfield Great Event’s Pop-Up Party Lover. KFNA Board Member Mark Waller’s band will play two 45-minute sets at your location in Kingfield—pick a cover you want played! (approx. 2 hour party with break between the two sets). 3 Remaining!
- $600 Community Garden Advocate. In honor of the bread/pizza oven we intend to build in 2014, we will host a pizza party for your 40 best friends, at your home or the Pleasant Community Garden. Provided by Jason Montgomery, KFNA Board Member and pizza truck owner. 1 Remaining!
- $1500 Rock Your Block Placemaking Party! Activities may include bouncy house, karaoke machine, Ping-Pong table, slack line, dunk tank and more. On a date to be scheduled with KFNA Staff; may NOT occur on National Night Out. Limit of 5.
Make your donation by mail to KFNA, 3754 Pleasant Ave. S, MPLS, MN 55409,
or on the lefthand side of this page at www.kingfield.org or via the Razoo website directly www.razoo.com/story/Kingfield-Neighborhood-Association.
Thank you for supporting your most local non-profit, the Kingfield Neighborhood Association!
Our neighborhood is an amazing place on so many levels – we thank you for all you do to participate actively in making this community what it is. And we do hope you’ll take the time to make your financial contribution to KFNA as well– your gift makes the work of KFNA possible.
December 17, 6:30-8:30 pm at Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Park (4055 Nicollet Avenue)
A community meeting has also been set for February 4, 2014 from 6:30 – 8:30 pm at the park. The February 4 meeting will focus on the selection of play equipment for the new playground.
All are welcome to participate in both meetings – kids too! Children can engage in the design process and/or a child care program.
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is working with artists and the community to enhance a typical plan for MPRB playground with play features and interpretive information that will help tell the story of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, the Civil Rights Movement and/or African American History. The plan that will be presented on December 17 builds on community input that has been gathered through two community meetings, a community survey, input opportunities at the Kingfield Farmers Market and park events, and on-site interviews at the park since July 2013.
The MPRB has allocated $225,000 for the project. MPRB funding will provide a playground comparable to those found in neighborhood parks across the city. The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Legacy Council (Legacy Council), with the help of Kingfield Neighborhood Association (KFNA), neighbors and local businesses, is actively fundraising to add an additional funding to the project budget to fund enhancements.
To learn more about the project, please visit the project’s web page at or contact Jennifer Ringold at email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 612-230-6464. The community process for the playground is anticipated to span through February. If planning and weather permit, construction will start in early 2014 with a grand opening in August of 2014. The MPRB extends a thank you to the Legacy Council and KFNA for their ongoing collaboration on community engagement assistance and fundraising for the project.
The Homicide investigators have been working diligently on the incident that occurred on November 22. MPD informed us that a suspect has been identified and the investigation continues. The suspect is not in custody at this time, but poses NO threat to the neighborhood at large. Although they are unable to release further details, they wanted to reassure us that they will keep the neighborhood apprised of any major changes in the future.
Toy Drive for Mary’s Place
Saturday December 7th from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Mo’s Body Works will be hosting a Toy Drive to support “Mary’s Place”, a transitional shelter here in Minneapolis that houses over 400 local children. These children are in the lowest socioeconomic group and have little chance of receiving gifts this holiday season without your help. Read more
Butter Bakery Cafe was broken into last night, Dec 1, 2013, and the safe was taken. If you have any information please stop in and let owner, Daniel Swenson-Klatt, know and he can work with the police. Buy an eclair while you are there, the robbers didn’t touch them!
If you prefer to provide possible information directly to the Police the report number is note the report number 13-400558.
Lots and Lots of Local Artisan Sales–Meet and Buy Direct form Local Artists!
a) Artisan Pottery Sale
November 29th, Noon-6 PM
3232 Elliot Avenue South
A group of local ceramic artists organized by Kingfield Artist Elizabeth Pechacek, are contributing bowls for the Empty Bowls event and are offering a warm alternative to the Black Friday madness, as well! Visit their artisan pottery sale where there will be beautiful handmade ceramic cups, bowls, jars for fermentation, plates and more! Light refreshments and Autumnal beverages will be served. The participating artists are: Chrys Carroll, Cory Clemetson, Elizabeth Pechacek, and Rock Lee Johnsen. All are welcome!
b) Salon Ad Hoc #2,
Saturday Nov. 30, 5-9 PM Read more
MPD has identified the victim of the 11/22/2013 incident as 24 year old Derek Holt, who died from a gunshot wound to the head. The victim was not from the neighborhood, nor did he have any ties to Kingfield. We have been told that this incident was not a random event and the Minneapolis Police Department does not believe that the public is at risk.
For additional information, please go to the Crime Prevention and Safety page and click on the Kingfield Homicide Update. You will also find a link to the most recent Kingfield Part 1 Crimes statistics.