Celebrate 38! Archives
Celebrate 38! Event through the years….
Photos from 2011 celebration on 9/24/2011
38th Street has connected our communities for over a century–every fall we gather to Celebrate 38!
2011 details so far:
11a – 1 p: Free hot dogs, games & accordion music by Nicollet Ace Hardware @ 38th & Nicollet
11 a – 1 p: Free temporary tattoos & face painting by Elements of Creativity @ 38th & Nicollet
11 a – 1 p: Free cookies by the Aliveness Project @ 38th & Nicollet
11a – 1 p: Free lemonade, $1 chili & cornbread, kiddie duck pond by Blackbird @ 38th & Nicollet. Proceeds go to charity.
11 a – 1 p: Feather extensions, first feather free, by BANGbang @ 38th & Nicollet
11 a – 1 p: $1 Tacos by Cocina Latina @ 38th & Nicollet
11 a – 1 p: Free wing sample by American Grill @ 38th & Nicollet
11 a – 1 p: Free chair massage by Julie Mueller @ 38th & Nicollet
11 a – 3 p: Special deals on haircuts ($10), pedicures ($20) & manicures ($12) by Lupita’s Hair & Nail Salon @ 38th & Nicollet
Noon: PARADE! @ 38th & Nicollet
12:30 pm: Free Sebastian Joe’s Nicollet Pothole ice cream provided & scooped by Lander Group @ 38th & Nicollet
12:45 – 2:30p: Music, dance and interactive performances by Center For Performing Arts @ 38th & Grand
- 12:45-1:30 54th Street Band
- 1:30-1:45: Kindermusik demo
- 1:45-2:00: Gyrokenesis demo
- 2:00-2:15: Ammal Dance
- 2:15-2:30: Amina Beres
1p – 3p Interactive clay art making by Claymate Creations @ 38th & Grand
1p -? Free chair massages by Taking Root Massage @ 38th & Grand
1p – 4p Get your 2012 Chinook Book $20 cash or check, supports Kingfield Community Gardens @ 38th & Grand
1 p -4p Free artistic face painting by Eileen Espinosa sponsored by Peterson’s Flowers @ 38th & Grand
2:30 – 4:30 p Brazilian drumming group Batucada do Norte by Victor 1959 Cafe @ 38th & Grand. Drinks on the patio, cash only, $3 beer, $4 wine, $1 soda
Raffle of $50 candy jar, 10% discount if you say “38th Rocks!” by Sugar Sugar @ 38th & Grand
Grand opening celebration all day by Digs Studio @ 38th & Grand–continuing until 9 p
Sales of purses & clothing by Peter Pan @ 38th & Grand
Flea Market by Digs Studio & Grand Cafe @ 38th & Grand
Surly Beer on tap by Grand Cafe @ 38th & Grand
Golden Leopard Martial Arts demos @ 38th & Grand
1p – 4:30p Local online journalism swag, photo-editing tricks, and your photo taken by Southwest Minneapolis Patch @ 38th & Grand
Here’s what this celebration looked like in 2010:
Late breaking news: KQRS broadcasting live from Nicollet Ace Hardware, 10-noon!
Kick it off at 38th and Pleasant, 10 am to noon:
- Diverse music, dance and more on an outdoor stage:
- 10:00-10:20 – Brooke Murphy and VinesOut Collective Music
- 10:20-10:40 – Young Dance 10:40-11:00 – Zumba Dance
- 11:00-11:20 – Circle Dance 11:20-11:40 – Hula Dance
- 11:40-12 noon – Aalim School of Dance
- An on-going Open House at the Center for Performing Arts with Kindermusik sample classes
- Free pumpkins from Lake Country School
- Visit the new community garden
- Face painting and family flag making led by KFNA volunteers for..
Family Sidewalk Parade at noon! Bring the whole family, dogs included! Dress up, or come as you are and make a family flag. We’ll follow the bagpipes up 38th street (on the sidewalk) to Nicollet.
Eat your lunch and enjoy 38th and Nicollet, 11 am to 2 pm:
- Jazz band 11-1, followed by sitar player, and free hot dogs on the Carquest grill 11-1 at Quality Coaches, celebrating their 39th anniversary!
- Free kettle corn and lemonade courtesy of Blackbird
- Free cookies from Aliveness Project
- Customer Appreciation Day with KQRS 10-12, live music, history, and free hot dogs starting at 11 am at Nicollet Ace Hardware
- Super sports car sale across from Quality Coaches
- Free Nicollet Pothole ice cream courtesy of Lander Group at 1 pm
- Free facepainting and temporary tattoos by Elements of Creativity, 11-1
- 10% off on Katy Schmaty jewelry, 12-5
- Dollar Day at Salvation Army Thrift Store–check inside the store for details
Spend your afternoon at 38th and Grand:
- Happy Hour on Victor’s 1959 Café Patio 2:30-4:30 pm. Drinks only, kitchen will be closed: Champagne mojitos, tropical mimosas, bottled beer, and wine by the glass! Bring your own snacks.
- Free happy hour snacks from Erik Brown Homes
- 38th Street Flea Market hosted by Grand Café with brats for sale
- Unique purses and clothes for sale at Peter Pan Cleaners, free bottled water
- Register to win a Halloween themed candy container at Sugar Suger, and if you say ’38th Rocks’ you will receive a 10% discount on your purchase. 38th ROCKS!
- 50 cent children’s clothes at Better Than Ever
- $5 Caricatures by Bryce Davidson
- Something special at Petersen Flowers
Download and share the flyer: Celebrate-38th-Street-9-20-10
Businesses, organizations and residents: What can you add to Celebrate 38?!? Let us know: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to all who helped make 2009′s first-annual event a success! Click here to see photos and a round up of the action!