We are seeing a Burglary pattern emerging and want you to let you know about this.
Since Wednesday 5-21-08 we have had 8 burglaries to garages, mainly in the Kenny and Armatage neighborhoods. These have all been Forced entry. They have occurred at;
50xx Xerxes Av S
59xx Newton Av S
58xx Colfax Av S
3xx Elmwood Pl W
59xx Washburn Av S
59xx Russell Av S
56xx Dupont Av S
52xx York Av S
We need your help to stop this person. If you see any suspicious activity, please call 911.
We would also like to remind residents that we need you to write down the MAKE, MODEL and SERIAL NUMBER of your valuable items. Without these numbers (or an Operation ID number) it is very difficult for us to recover your property or have enough evidence to prove the burglar has your items. We enter the MAKE, MODEL and SERIAL NUMBER of any stolen property into the NCIC ( National Crime Information Center ) computer, so any police officer in the U.S. will know it’s stolen from Minneapolis if they find it. We also check local Pawn Shops using the APS (Automated Pawn System) with MAKE, MODEL and SERIAL NUMBER to see if anyone is pawning stolen items. The best way to help yourself and the police department is to keep a current list of these numbers in a safe place. It only takes a few hours to go through your house writing down these numbers off your valuable items, and minutes as you purchase new items.
If you have unique items that don’t have numbers (jewelry, furs, antiques, etc); photographs of any distinguishing marks or appraisals for valuables can assist us in identifying your missing items.
If you would like some tips on protecting your home while on vacation, please visit http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-prevention/docs/ProtectHomeWhileOnVacation.pdf. You can find additional crime prevention tips at http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-prevention/.
1. Please pass this information on to your neighbors if they do not receive these emails (copy emails and paste them into a new message rather than forwarding them). Tell your neighbors how to sign up for these alerts – visit http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crimealert/signup.asp.
2. Please let your block club members know about these events.
3. Be aware of your surroundings. Call 911 on any suspicious activity, persons, or vehicles.
4. Watch for people on the street before exiting your home or vehicle.
5. When you get into your car, lock your doors and do not just sit in the parked vehicle.
6. Do not carry excessive cash, credit cards, or other items. Bring only what you need.
7. Write down the numbers and contact information for all your credit/debit cards so you can call and cancel them immediately if they are taken or lost. Keep this information in a safe location.
8. Get involved with (or start) your neighborhood Crime & Safety Committee.
9. Know your Neighborhood Associations.
10. If you have information on a crime please call the MPD Tips Line at (612) 692-8477.
11. If you witness a crime, try to look for this information:
a. People: Estimated height, weight, build, age, race, gender, distinguishing features, and clothing.
b. Vehicle: License plate number, make, model, year, and color.
c. People and vehicles: Time they came/left, and what direction they were last seen headed.
d. Also note if a weapon is involved.