Ranked Choice Voting is coming to Minneapolis November 3rd!
Implementation is now on the fast track and the most important piece of this is educating voters about the new and improved voting system. You can help through FairVote MN, even if you only have a little time!
This is important (and fun!) work, and you can be a part of it. The success of Ranked Choice Voting (aka Instant Runoff Voting) in Minneapolis will depend on how well educated voters are about how to use it before going to vote.
Here are some ways you can help:
1) If you like to talk to people about Ranked Choice Voting, help table at neighborhood and citywide events and festivals.
There are several events every week throughout the summer and fall.Click here to see list of forthcoming events.
Pride is coming up next weekend (27th-28th). It’s a perfect time to get started!
Join us to march in the parade and/or staff our information booth at the festival.
2) If you love Farmers’ Markets, take on a regular shift at one of the community markets in town – Uptown, Midtown, Kingfield and Northeast.
3) If you like to speak, sign up for the Ranked Choice Voting speakers bureau and help make presentations to civic and community groups. Or invite a speaker to present to YOUR organization (condo association, neighborhood association, book club, whatever group you belong to).
4) If you like to host gatherings at your home, host a house party and conduct a demonstration election with desserts – or whatever – on the ballot. Give your neighbors and friends a first-hand ranked choice voting experience.
5) If your time and family commitments make helping outside the home difficult, but you would like volunteer, help do data entry. We need help keeping our list up to date! If you have internet access, you can do date entry from the comfort of home.
6) If you are an election judge, please sign up to help this year – at the polls and to assist with the hand count. Or sign up to become an election judge.
7) If you are writer or aspire to be, write an article or op-ed to your local newspaper, or blog out it. Contact FairVote for sample op-eds, letters and articles.
8) Whenever you have a chance, talk to your neighbors, friends, coworkers and family. Let them know that voting in Minneapolis just got upgraded and they get to rank candidates in order of their preference on the ballot this November! Tell them how Ranked Choice Voting works or send them to www.fairvotemn.org for information. This everyone can do!
Please email to email@example.com to sign up and we’ll get you started!