Since October 4, MPD’s Fifth Precinct has received 53 reports of theft from motor vehicle (TFMV), and 15 reports of garage burglaries.
100% of the reported garage burglaries with entry had no force evident. Entry was through an overhead door in 47% of cases (left open or using a garage door opener often left in a vehicle outside), and through an unlocked or open service door in the remaining 53%. In one case, a suspect was seen attempting to pry open a door when he was interrupted by a witness and fled. There was no entry or loss in that case. In most burglaries, bikes were stolen.
Generally with TFMV, a large percentage are either through unlocked/open windows, or the window is broken in order to gain access to valuables left visible inside. In Minneapolis, purses, wallets, laptops, GPSs and other electronics are the most commonly stolen items.
If you would like more information about this alert, or information about how to sign up to receive alerts from MPD and various City Departments, please send e-mail to Cheryl@Kingfield.org