Gift wrap and tissue paper are not accepted for recycling because theyâ€™re often made with low-quality paper or contain too much clay and other additives to give gift wrap its color. Instead, try these alternatives to gift wrap:
- Piece of cloth (kitchen towels, bandanas, handkerchief, etc.)
- Containers such as tins, baskets or shipping boxes and skip the wrap.
- Gift bags that youâ€™ve received. Keep any bags you receive for future use.
- Wrapping paper made from recycled content. Note: the gift-wrap may not be recyclable but if you must wrap, at least buy those made from recycled paper.
- Do you have an office gift exchange? Consider promoting reusable gift wrap and creating a stash of gift wrap for next year after the exchange is over.