KFNA Redevelopment Committee
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
7 – 9 P.M. Martin Luther King Park
Attendance: 70-80 people total
Redevelopment Committee Member
Rosemary Dolata, Peter Hallstrom, Mark Hinds, Arthur Knowles, Doug Kress, Tom Parent, Dave Saddoris

KFNA Staff: Sarah Linnes-Robinson and Joanna S. Hallstrom

Guests:
Kingfield Residents
CM Elizabeth Glidden
CPS Tom Thompson
Lt. Marie Przynski
Plymouth Church Neighborhood Foundation staff
John Jorde, 3846 Grand Conditional Use Permit

Call to order / Introduction
Tom Parent, chair of the KFNA redevelopment committee called the meeting to order. Parent gave an overview of the agenda for the night and outlined the purpose of this meeting. Parent took time to explain the role that the Redevelopment Committee and KFNA play in neighborhood developments.

Confirmation/Modifications of 3700 Nicollet PCNF Project Issue Categories
Parent walked the group through the process, established by the redevelopment committee and KFNA for moving forward in gathering community in put on the PCNF 3700 Nicollet development. Parent gave on overview of “Proposed Issue Categories” arrived at from analysis of questions and concerns raised regarding project to date. The committee planed for each issue categories to be addressed in a small group setting with a facilitator so that the questions and concerns around each topic could be adequately explored and recorded for subsequent research. Parent asked the group if there were other critical issues not being addressed in the small groups? None were identified. Parent outlined categories for small group discussion. Some residents voiced opposition to this process and asked to meet as one large group. After discussion, Parent directed the group back to the pre-established process of facilitated small groups.

Small Group Work Sessions lead by facilitators. The facilitators leading the small groups were members of the KFNA redevelopment committee. Residents were given the opportunity to choose which small group they wanted to participate in.  The facilitators gathered key questions, from resident small group participants. The KFNA redevelopment committee will work on identifying resources to answer questions and people responsible for providing research. KFNA residents were invited to volunteer to help with the research. PCNF staff was available during the working sessions to serve as a resource of information. A compilation of questions for each category is listed below.

Building Mass / Architecture / Mixed Use Viability: Tom Parent
Why is the retail where it is?
Where is the bus stop?
Why not the Thiesen Building?
Why not set back from street like other “houses”?
How were residents considered during design phase?
How will building security be addressed: Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) by MPD.
Why should it be secure? How secure does it have to be?
Resident’s access from the back might be beneficial.
Visual surveillance of entrance very important.
42 studio units not market sustainable, in case of use change.
Institutional character?
Room Layout and Dimensions? Humanizing?
How does it address Nicollet Ave.?
Social space within: suite verses individual rooms.
Precedent? Successful?
Sustaining operations?
Positive manageability?
Supporting Residents?
Tenant Longevity?
Maintenance of the facility: interior and exterior?
42 units? Site and zoning? Founding? Economy of scale?
Phase II: When and Why?
Open to suggestion on market rate verses affordable?
Need eyes on the alley and the street.
How to participate and involve?

Social Service Model: Rosie Dolata
Where is the research to support the programming proposal that includes 42 residents and only optional participation?
What is the Philosophical groundwork for the programming choice?
Is the support staff 9-5?
Institutional housing with people grouped together vs. models of inclusive living of these people in the community—is this too many people to group together?
Other models/structure for programming?
Who else serves this population?
How can we help the issue of homelessness as a community?
Personal decision not a community decision to help homeless and youth—adoption and foster care are personal options—this should not be a public decision.
How much help do the kids in this facility need?
What is the selection process for the tenant?
Who refers the kids?
Is there a sign-up list? Is it first come/first served?  This is what the public is hearing.
What kind of crimes excludes some one from living at the building?  Are there other exclusions?
How can they enforce the age?  Especially with public dollars?
What is the split of population between homeless kids and those aging out of foster care.
Is PCNF open to changing the program?  Is PCNF open to not having the program?
Is it a private or public facility?  How does this change the laws for tenants and who can be there?
What is the definition of “impacted” and “non-impacted” regarding the site?
Where will residents come from geographically?
Where do they get $$ for rent—do they need proof of work?  What is to guard against someone obtaining funds illegally?
What is the short and long-term funding of the facility?  What are the sources for the building and also for long-term maintenance and staffing?
Assuming that PCNF still want s to develop site, can’t they integrate these youth more into “a real life setting?”—include a variety of incomes, ages, family sizes into the building
What is the responsibility and involvement of the churches?  Do they have legal obligations?  Do they hire out all their responsibility?  Who, ultimately, is responsible?
Is there a mentoring commitment or opportunities, from church members?
Is PCNF open to a smaller facility?
How much are economics driving the program and unit numbers?  What happens in 5 years when the $$ runs out?
What is the county’s involvement and support and commitment?  County commissioners and county administrators
What has been the involvement of youth in planning this project?
Tax implications—residential and retail.  (Again, public or private facility?  Will the property be on tax roles?)
Ownership?
Retail +for Kingfield and tenants= needs for all
How many homeless youth (foster kids) are currently in Kingfield?
Apartment rules—visitation? Guests? Registration?  What about guests from other apartments?
Concentration of homeless youth=problem
Would neighbors be more comfortable with 42 new young residents dispersed throughout the neighborhood—yes, answered this group
Cost implications–# help and length of stay
What is current number of youth ageing out of their current situations (county question?)

Questions asked in Service Model Group that fall in other categories:
Building related question—most of Kingfield is residential so how does this fit in? Physically: in scale and appearance
Crime related questions—concern was expressed over crime number presented representing crimes at similar facilities…questions raised as to what types of facilities were these and their populations and rules and what is the neighborhood atmosphere?  Also what was the person’s connection to the address of the facility if they didn’t live there—were they with someone who did? Had they lived there?
Crime Questions—is it dangerous for youth to be in a crime area?  Will the youth result in an increase of crime in the neighborhood?
Crime question—Are people in a high density/low income living situation more or less susceptible to crime?
Crime question—what is the current status of gang activity?  How do we have this facility not grow this element?

Property Value Impact: Mark Hinds
Public safety questions
Will crime go up?
Who is ultimately responsible?  What people are looking for is whom they can call if there is a problem with the building.
The main concern here was the people in the group were concerned that the group in the building has the potential to create issues in the neighborhood, both in the building and outside of it.
Building design
It is not an attractive building.  There were a lot of strong negative feelings towards the exterior design of the building.
Does the density / type of building make sense?
Will a public property affect an assessor’s opinion?  This project was seen as being a public property.
What is the tax status of the property?
Will this property generate taxable income?
How does the building appearance and scale affect property values?
Service Model
What is the program structure?
Is the program structure and the whole model appropriate?  This question wasn’t just about the program at the site, but about this type of program in general.
Is a concentration/mixed model better?  There were concerns about concentrating poverty at the site vs. using more of a mix-income model.
Housing targeted toward youth. What is the selection process for the people who are going to live in the building?  There were a lot of concerns about this process, with people feeling that it was confusing and unstructured from the information that had been presented.
What is the structure of the housing programs?
What is the screening process with similar properties?
Will there be a lease addendum?  People really wanted to know what was going to be in the leases and how those provisions would be enforced.
What is the resident drug and alcohol policy?
Impact of Retail – one of the questions for this committee was to develop some thinking around the proposed retail component of the building.
What is the impact of retail on the neighborhood and the project?
Would the retail be supported or would it be market rate?
How many people would be employed on site?
What is the size of space / flexibility?
Who is going to operate the retail?
What is the market for retail at this site and with programming like this?
How many shops?
If retail was to go in the project, here is some thinking from the group on it.
Retail Likes
Retail dislikes
coffee-shop
co-op
restaurant
bakery
No pawn shops.
No cell phone, t-shirt or gun shops.

Next Steps
Invite neighborhoods with similar programs – YouthLinke/PCNF to talk to KFNA about project management.
Ask assessor/realtors about similar projects.
What is the academic research about the impact and effectiveness of similar projects? (Dave Saddoris volunteers to do this research)

Community Outreach: Arthur Knowles
Recommendations from small group discussion:  The purpose of our outreach is to inform the neighborhood and the immediate neighbors particularly, of the progress of this proposal. It was noted that there seems to be a lot of partial, or incorrect, information floating around.
Some people believe that this proposal is a “done deal”, but we need to stress that this is not.
This is the start of what we hope will be a most transparent process of exchanging and verifying information, and reaching a decision as a neighborhood. This will require
(as we began at the Nov. 28 meeting) gathering the questions and concerns of the neighbors, finding answers to these items, and relaying the information back to the neighbors. This could require two or three repetitions.
This back and forth flow of information is most easily done via e-mail and the Neighborhood website. In addition we should use the Kingfield News as much as possible. This will not aid the flow of information to and from those not connected to the internet. If possible, we should try to set up “phone trees” and encourage folks to volunteer to pass on information to those who are not connected. A few such volunteers, each contacting only two or three others, could do much to help information flow. And I believe we should consider additional large meetings as the neighbors deem necessary. This will require scheduling and fliering the neighborhood or at least the immediate neighbors. The fact is that many folks simply will not stay involved unless we remind them with fliers.

Crime Prevention / Safety: Doug Kress
General questions:
PCNF will be applying for and Conditional Use Permit. For what are they asking for a CUP?   What condition can the neighborhood add?
How many residents will be allowed to live in the 42 units?
Is the land already purchased?
What rights does the community have to fight this project?
What is the process to stop this project?
KFNA can give a formal letter either for or against this project. How will City Council weight this letter in their decision?
Crime questions:
Will crime increase or decrease in KFNA because of this project?  What data is available to support this answer?
Is there a general increase of crime in Kingfield? How much crime is specifically at the 3700 block of Nicollet?  What types of crime are occurring within a 2 block area?
When do we call 911?
What can be done to deter crime between 38th and 37th Street along Nicollet?
What are the school zoning requirements (i.e. a sex offender cannot live within xxx number of blocks from a school)? Is this project allowed based on the proximity it will be from Lake Country School and San Miguel Middle School?
What is the sex offender notification?
How many staff will be on site and at what times?
What is the role of supportive services?
Will youth have jobs before moving in?
Is the owner paying property taxes?
Who owns the building?
Who will manage and care for the building?
What is a manageable number of youth to serve in one location?  Is this too many?  What data do you have to support 42 is the correct number of units to be served in one site using the supportive services model for the age group proposed?
Would a similar but smaller scale supportive housing project be more manageable and have less impact on the surrounding community?
How many of the tenants will be foster kids?
If tenants are picked up for truancy and curfew violations who is notified and who will be responsible for their release?
How can a 16 year old sign a lease?
How will the police department be involved in this project?
How will the no alcohol policy be enforced?  What is the consequence for breaking the alcohol policy?
How will under age alcohol use be reported to the police?
How will entrances be controlled/secure?
How will the entrances and exits work?
What is the visitor policy?
Why did PCNF choose this location?
How do we create a win win situation?
How can our feedback change or influence the outcome?
What are the eviction rates for this type of housing project? How many evictions per year are considered average, low and high for this type of residence?
Could/would PCNF pay for an extra patrol officer in this area?
What funding did the KFNA letter support?
Have we exceeded the density planned by the City for this area?
How is Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) being used?
How can we clean up crime along Nicollet?
Can KFNA have input in the selection process for tenants?
Is this project too big?

Next Steps: Establish process & timetable for research, reporting of research, committee decisions, & reporting to community. The next redevelopment meeting will be on Wednesday, December 19th. This will be the beginning of multiple months of presentations and small group sessions relating to each identified issue categories.

New Redevelopment Committee Items: Redevelopment committee members met after the large group meeting to address the following.
Hennepin County Foreclosed Properties Follow Up: Regarding the 4307 Wentworth property The committee decided to address this item through an email discussion. This committee is being asked to recommend whether this property should be rehabbed and sold on the open market to the highest bid, rehabbed and sold as part of the Land Trust, or rehabbed and lease to the county for a home site for supportive housing and services..

Conditional Use Permit 3846 Grand Avenue: John Jorde, owner of 3846 Grand presented plans to add a fifth unit in the basement of his owner-occupied four-plex.
He was able to demonstrate five off-street parking places which is a requirement of the City. His design showed one egress window in the bedroom and operable windows for the other rooms. Jorde was encouraged to do more landscaping on the exterior of his building.

Hinds made a motion to support the addition of a 5th unit if the zoning fits the context of the project. Motion passed unopposed. Jorde needs a letter of support from KFNA by December 3rd. Kress confirmed later that the property is zoned R5 – which would allow the 5th unit

Minutes completed by Joanna S. Hallstrom, NRP Project Organizer

Kingfield Crime and Safety Meeting
Tuesday, November 20
7-8:30pm
MLK Park

Attendance
Kingfield Residents- 10
MLK Park Staff:
MPD- CPS Tom Thompson; Lt Marie Przynski
Fifth Precinct Community Attorney- Lisa Goden
Crime and Safety Task Force Board Representative- Absent
KFNA Staff- Joanna S. Hallstrom, Project Organizer

Announcements:
CPaS decided to meet in December, in the past the group has taken a recess this month.

Open Forum Issues of Concern:

1) A resident from 44th and Grand Ave. expressed concerns about loitering at bus stops especially on Nicollet and 46th and along Nicollet throughout Kingfield. This resident has a daughter that works around 46th and Nicollet and walks home after her pm shift. The daughter does not feel safe. Recently this young woman was followed at a distance to her home by a man that had been loitering at a 46th and Nicollet bus stop.

Should you call 911 if you think you are being followed, but have not proof that the person is intending to do anything?
Yes, absolutely. If you think you are in danger and your “gut” tells you that something is wrong call 911.

How can we stop people from loitering at bus stops?
Residents can call in a specious person hanging out at a bus stop. Sign to look for include: an individual hanging out at a bus stop for an extended period of time without utilizing the bus service / seeing that person flagging down cars / seeing hand to hand transactions.

Lt Marie Przynski, will put a call into the transit police to request an increase in patrolling around 46th and Nicollet and the KFNA Nicollet corridor. She will also notify the CRT team of the pm loitering at bus stops along Nicollet.

Can Metro Transit deny people a bus ride?
Yes. The bus company can have no trespassing order against an individual for being aggressive or disruptive with other passengers. The trespassing order is usually 30-days but can be extended to one year depending on the offense.

2) A male resident from 36th and Blaisdell Ave. reported that he had been robbed in the alley between Blaisdell and Pillsbury Ave. at 36th street. The robbers took his cell phone from his belt but he actually chased them away.

As robbery and burglary continue to be a main problem in South Mpls, there is concern that there are very little consequences for this type of behavior and that the light consequences only encourage more criminal activity.

Neighborhood Crime Reports: CPS Tom Thompson; Lt Marie Przynski
Thompson and Przynski reported that crime is down overall in Sector 2 by 3%. Lt. will email the official Neighborhood Policing Plan to KFNA that will include KFNA specific stats. She believes that crime is down overall in KNA by 14%

Overall crime is down however, burglaries are up precinct wide. 70% of burglaries were from unlocked windows and doors. The Lt. stressed that these are crimes of opportunity and that most of them can be prevented by residents properly locking their windows and doors (even then they are home) and not leaving expensive items and purses and wallets in view from windows. This goes for cars too.

There was a burglary on 36th and 1st Ave. and also on 37th and 1st Ave. recently. The burglars entered occupied homes at around 5am. The residents of one household woke up and turned on a light. The burglar fled.

The Lt. reminded residents to take extra precautions with the holidays. She strongly encouraged people not to put their Christmas presents under the tree until Christmas Eve. She also strongly encouraged people to cut down packaging from expensive gifts (i.e. TV, computer etc) and recycle it in a way that it does not advertise the new items that are now “available” in your home.

Crime Prevention and Safety Strategies to Discuss:
1) Plymouth Church Neighborhood Foundation (PCNF) Proposed Development at 3700 Nicollet Ave.

Tom Parent, Chair of the Kingfield Redevelopment Committee summarized the PCNF project to the Task Force and outlined how community feedback will be collected by KFNA. PCNF has proposed a three story mixed use building that will include 42 efficiency units for youth at risk of homelessness ages 16-22. The lower level of the development will include retail and office space. On site youth support services will be provided by YouthLink.

The Kingfield Redevelopment Committee, with KFNA board approval will be the main point of contact and communication for this project. Residents that come to CPaS and express concerns about the project will be asked to fill out a comment card that will be submitted to the Redevelopment Committee. Parent made is very clear that KFNA is in the process of collecting community feedback and is taking the concerns that residents are bringing forth very seriously. He also stated that KFNA has not made a decision to in support of or against the project at this point. He invited people to attend the redevelopment meetings which are held on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 7pm at MLK Park.

Parent reported that PCNF had a meeting with CPS Tom Thompson and Lt. Przynski.
Thompson and Przynski expressed the following concerns from that meeting:
-They do not feel that it is a good model to mix minors with adults (16-22)
-It is not clear if or how police will be notified of drinking, drug, sexual relationship violations.
-At this point, PCNF is not willing to release the names of residents living at their properties for the police to do criminal checks on.

2) Update on resident initiatives
Michael Vanderford lead a block meeting earlier this month with the main focus of organizing the nine blocks around 41st and Baisdell and working together on some broader initiatives that include: increasing staffing at MLK park in the summer and possibly starting a MLK Park council.

The walking group continues to walk. CPaS discussed ways to increase participation and give the walkers a purpose to their walk. Ideas included:
-identify blocks without leaders and block clubs and make that block a destination for the walk. The Citizen Patrol would hand out fliers with block club information on them and talk to people.
-Do monthly theme walks like Lyndale (October costumes, November deliver thank you cards etc).
-Start an exercise campaign around walking
-Start a dog walking group/s
-call Steven’s Square for info about their walking group.

3) Education residents on 911
CPaS discussed how many residents still are uncomfortable with calling 911 to report suspicious activity and are working on how to educate people better. It was felt that a mailing would not be effective. CPaS is willing to continue to train each new group of residents that come to meetings with their concerns.

4) Develop an MLK Park Council
Since this is an idea also with the Vanderford group CPaS will support their efforts in this initiative.

5) Schedule civilian training on local gangs. Lt. Przynski will organize this with Hallstrom. CPaS decided that a Saturday in January would be the best time.

Other Tasks:
Lt Przynski will send KFNA a copy of the MPD’s communication policy and follow-up with the August park shooting case.

Tri Neighborhood Court Watch Program:
Hallstrom reported that there is another person (from the Vanderford group) interested in participating in this program.

Minutes completed by Joanna Hallstrom, Project Organizer – KFNA

Kingfield Neighborhood Association
Board of Directors Meeting November 14, 2007

Minutes
Board Members Present:
Arthur Knowles, Dave Saddoris, David Potosky, Karen Pieper, Tom Parent, Chris Sur, David Brauer, JobyLynn Sassily, Niki Stavrou

Board Members Absent:
Mary Hunter, Amy Joe Gracyalny, Ben Kristensen

KFNA Staff Present:
Sarah Linnes-Robinson, Joanna Hallstrom

Others:
Jake Weyer, SWJ
Scott Pampuch. Corner Table
Scott Bordon, Resident
Heidi Fields, Drift Woord Bar
Elizabeth Glidden, Cm 8th Ward

Meeting Called to Order:
David Brauer called the meeting to order at 7:05PM

Community Forum:
No community forum

Secretary’s Report:
The minutes from October were accepted with no changes.

Treasurer’s Report:
Dave Saddoris noted some inaccuracies from August to September in regards to the storm water project. He and Sarah will check figures after the meeting.

Action Items:

Farmer’s Market Sarah had requested via email that we change the previous recommendation to use MAP Project Redesign to not using them because of the fact that. Scott Pampech from the FM task force at meeting to discuss FM becoming a committee of KFNA. Discussion points:
Sarah Linnes-Robinsons suggests that this would give FM assurance of the board’s backing, a real commitment.
Chris Sur requests an outline of communication lines between the board and FM. Is there money for a coordinator? (total market costs ran $12,000. – $13,000 in ‘07)
Some publicly unseen conflicts occurred between FM staff and KFNA because of communication issues and that FM grew into a bigger project than expected. Scott answers that communication issues arose because of loose structure; people unsure of who the leader was. He’d like more formality in chain of command. The berry picking/selling procedure was offered as an example of confusing communication, even though it was a huge success with customers.
Niki says this is a classic example of growing pains, getting bigger and better.
.
Niki Stavrou motions that the FM task force becomes a committee of the KFNA Board. Chris Sur seconds. All others ayes.

Sarah says there is money for contracting continuing the market project in ‘08.
David Potosky motions that funding come from 2008-2009 NRP budget, that $11,000.00 is earmarked for FM. (second?)

Plymouth Church Neighborhood Foundation Community Meeting review Some discussion of the community meeting held Nov 7:
Police officer Tom Thompson compared Plymouth project to the Lydia project. The raw data is prejudicial, not reflecting people really living in project. (Criminals would use the address as home, but not actually live there, skewing the data that there was more crime because of residents’ activities.)
Still many inaccuracies and rumors, important to keep community actively involved. We need to ask hard questions and make sure we’re getting best possible answers.
CPaS and Redevelopment need to work together
Elizabeth Glidden was happy that Plymouth was responsive and open about crime statistics. It shows good faith.
Can we throw this responsibility to R and D? Ask specifics like “We need this __________ by _______time.”
Special link on website on KFNA to update community on Plymouth church project should be in place.

Motion is offered to designate Tom Parent as a representative of Redevelopment committee to ask questions of Plymouth Church. Tom Parent and David Potosky will go to upcoming Plymouth meeting as both KFNA board members and as neighbors. They will bring “comment cards” for obtaining feedback from neighbors.

Resolution on 35W City Councilwoman, Elizabeth Glidden, presented
Resolution on 35W: “Supporting the development of a fiscally responsible plan and providing a high quality inside lane multi-modal BRT station at Lake Street…improvements and Lake Street Reconstruction.”
David Saddoris moves to support The Resolution. JobyLynn Sassily James seconds. All others ayes
PROJECTS
Saturday, December 8 from 4:00-9:00p.m.at the Performing arts Studio. …DECK THE WALLS event. PERFORMING GROUPS, FOOD, 3.2 BEER AND WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Volunteers are needed…see Sarah
46th Street ramps and bridge losing soon. Look out for it.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45

Minutes prepared by Karen Pieper

VIA EMAIL SINCE MEETING:
Tom Parent emails KFNA board on November 29, 2007 that the Redevelopment Committee met the previous night and the following motion was presented: That KFNA supports the addition of a 5th unit wthin the existing structure at 3846 Grand Ave. S. Essentially, the owner of 3846 Grand Av S wants to convert his large basement of his 4-plex into another unit (total 5 units)
The following board members answered back in the affirmative: Niki Stavrou, Arthur Knowles, David Brauer, Derrell Gerber, David Saddoris, David Potosky, Karen Pieper, JobyLynn Sassily James, Chris Sur

Home
oem xp software buy oem mac soft replica mobile phones