March 15, 2004
MINUTES

Present: Sean Wherley, Melinda Ludwiczak, Barb Chung, Arthur Knowles
Absent: Lisa Rudy, Wayne Anderson, Paige Fitzgerald, Natalie Lenz, Niki Valans
Also Present: Sarah Linnes-Robinson, KFNA NRP Coordinator

Ludwiczak moved to approve February meeting’s minutes and Knowles seconded.  Chung abstained from the vote.

Linnes-Robinson updated the committee regarding the summer mural project.  The KFNA Board has approved the Scope of Service, which has been sent to CPED so they can draft the $15,000 contract.  Staff is recruiting members to sit on a closed-Task Force that will oversee the project and do artist and business selections.  The Board of directors will place members to the Task Force at the April meeting.  Business and Primary Artist applications will be due one week following the annual meeting.

The committee discussed the Community Oriented Policing Grant, and if Kingfield will submit a proposal. Following a review of the Kingfield NRP Plan, Linnes-Robinson advised the group that none of the existing strategies easily fell into the “projects” that the Community Policing would do.  The committee decided it was a stretch to apply for these funds and decided to let the opportunity pass.

Staff provided project Updates:
Nicollet Avenue sidewalk repairs: Ward 10 is pressing an “investigation”.

Street lighting petition: Staff is still pressuring the City to find out when the moratorium on projects will be lifted.  There is a possibility that the Kingfield project can be done now, since it was initiated before the moratorium.  Staff will continue to press this point and get an answer.

King Park improvements:  Brian Cornell has been told that if he wants to pursue projects he can contact the Park board directly and get estimates for projects.  These can then be presented to the steering committee for their consideration.

The Kingfield Annual Meeting was discussed.  Wherley encouraged all Steering Committee members to run for the board since they were already involved and aware of neighborhood issues.  The meeting format was talked about, as was how to highlight NRP accomplishments for the past year.  Arthur agreed to talk about a list of projects (street lighting, murals, 40th street, Emergency Housing Grants, etc.).  Linnes-Robinson will compile a handout of accomplishments and share it with him to shape his presentation.

The meeting was adjourned.

Minutes prepared by Sarah Linnes-Robinson, KFNA NRP Coordinator.

KINGFIELD NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING

MARCH 10, 2004

Board members present:  Tom Buller, Art Knowles, David Motzenbecker, Tony Aspholm, Erik Lindseth, Rosemary Dolata, Sean Wherley, Martha Ingram, Thor Anderson, Ben Kristensen

Board members not attending:  David Muschenheim, Paige Fitzgerald

Others present:  Sarah Linnes-Robinson, Robyn Repya

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM.

Community Forum—no topics were raised for discussion.

Secretary’s Report
The minutes were corrected to read:

The $679.45 in the Treasurer’s report consisted of $675 of rent categorized incorrectly, and $4.45 printing expense.  The 35W Access Project report stated that a public meeting would be held in March that is not scheduled.  The funding for the project is $152M.  The Conflict of interest policy needs review and approval.  The recent proposal is modeled on policies recommended by the Attorney General’s Office.  The Redevelopment Committee will remove Heather Martens and Mary Vanderford and add Margaret Sines.
The amended minutes were approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report
There are no problems currently.  The report is difficult to distribute in time for the Board Meetings because we now receive our bank statement at the end of the month just before the board meeting.  Approval was postponed definitely until the next meeting.

Other minutes
The Newsletter Committee is to be complimented for their hard work.  People like the new format.

Annual Meeting
There are no by-law changes or NRP program changes that need approval at the meeting this year.\
Six board members will remain on the board for another year and seven will be elected to a two-year term.
Speakers at the meeting could include the City Council members, Senator Dibble, Representative Horenstein, and the Mayor.  Board members making presentations include David Motzenbecker—Corridor Housing Initiative, Thor—News Letter, Erik—Fundraising, Art—NRP, Sean—35W Access Project, and Sarah—Mural Projects.
Election nominations, speeches and questions will take at least an hour.  Board members should bring a dish to the potluck.

Hiring Update
A job description and ads are ready to list the job Liz has the week of March 8.  We hope to have someone hired by the annual meeting.  It is a half time position.  Liz will stay through July in some capacity for the start of the Farmer’s Market, the Garage Sale and the Festival.

Conflict of Interest Policy
Section 6, item 2, could exclude a person from voting but should not exclude the person from the discussion.  We will strike “discussion and.”
Section 6, we could add a second signature line to the statement for the second year of a board member’s term.
Section 3, item 5—strike the “s” on others.
Section 6, item 4 strikes the work “that.”
The Conflict of Interest Policy was approved unanimously as amended.

Mural Program
The scope of the mural services is sent to CPED for contracts to do the murals for the various business owners.  These murals are considered grants for façade improvement.  We need to submit application in April to receive funds in July.  The scope of services is outlined in the two-page proposal.  The proposal was approved with Rosemary abstaining.

CHI Grant
The kick off meeting is March 11, 7 PM at King Park.  The intent of the grant is to bring together groups from throughout the City to look at Nicollet Avenue for areas that could be used for affordable housing, transit, etc.  The grant is to do neighborhood outreach for the project.  The goal is to get something built.

Newsletter
Do Good Biz is the distributor for the new format Newsletter.  Thor distributed the latest copy and explained the format.  Discussion about layout and format was lively.  It was questioned if we should list all donors by name.  Some people prefer to be listed as anonymous.  It was suggested that articles about new businesses should list their names and addresses.

Habitat for Humanity
The house is built.  The open house has happened.  The new owners are living there.
KFNA committed $5,000 to the project early on.  We have not put this money into the project as yet.  We will send a letter to Habitat offering our donation if they are free to accept NRP money.
3618 First Avenue is being remodeled and will be part of the Minneapolis/St. Paul home tour the first weekend of May.

35W Access Project
Tony reported on a meeting March 9 that he attended for Sean.  Wells Fargo reported on the work to their campus on 28th Street and 5th Avenue.  When it is completed there will be 4300 people working there.  Allina discussed the recent decision to relocate 1000 of their employees to the Sears sites on Lake Street.
The Hennepin County board and the Minneapolis City Council will be voting on the project in the coming months.  The project is likely to pass each group.  Both the County and the City are requiring that the center lane of 35W be reserved for transit or HOV-3.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 PM.

David Motzenbecker, President               Tony Aspholm, Secretary

Kingfield Rises to Help Build Home, Kingfield Thanks 2003 Donors, Build a Better Kingfield: Attend Annual Meeting, and more March Newsletter.

Home
oem xp software buy oem mac soft replica mobile phones