Kingfield Neighborhood Association

Board of Directors Meeting

April 13, 2005

Minutes

Board Members Present:
Thor Anderson, Rosemary Dolata, Martha Ingram, Rolf Johnson, Arthur Knowles, Ben Kristensen, Erik Lindseth, David Motzenbecker, Mari O’Rourke, Dave Saddoris, Sean Wherley, and Niki Valens.

Board Members Absent:
None

Others Present:
Sarah Linnes-Robinson, KFNA; Jeremy Stratton, Southwest Journal; Marie Perzynski, Minneapolis Police Lieutenant; Tim, owner of Frame Ups.

Meeting called to order:
Motzenbecker called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m.

Community Forum:
Lieutenant Perzynski provided a crime update for the neighborhood and precinct.  She urged people to take precautions as there have been several reported burglaries and car break-ins recently.  She said that the precinct will have two officers and one sergeant reassigned to the north side following a new crime prevention initiative launched by Chief William McManus.

Secretary’s Report
Linnes-Robinson requested that the minutes reflect the findings of KFNA’s recent audit, conducted by the State Auditor.  A double billing of $150 was reported and corrected.  The second item recommended stronger segregation of financial duties, which is difficult in such a small organization.  Wherley moved to accept the March Board minutes; Knowles seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report:
Motzenbecker inquired about the $2,500 item listed under “events.”  Linnes-Robinson said it was a social service grant issued to the Underground Youth Center.  Knowles moved to accept the treasurer’s report; Ingram seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.

Committee Reports:
Wherley inquired about requesting funds for the King Bridge Partnership through the Capital Long-range Investment Committee.  Motzenbecker said that KFNA should send a letter expressing interest in such funding to the committee next year, indicating it is premature to do so in 2005.

MLK Multi-Purpose Room:
Linnes-Robinson said that the Minneapolis Park Board will issue $11,600 to KFNA to reimburse the organization for repairs completed in 2002 on the multi-purpose room at King Park.

Annual Meeting:
Motzenbecker reviewed the proposed agenda for the April 18 annual meeting.  It was agreed that Councilmember Scott Benson will discuss 35W and Crosstown.  Knowles will discuss the NRP plan modifications, Valens and O’Rourke will discuss the block club organizing, Wherley will discuss fundraising, and Motzenbecker will discuss the farmer’s market, mural project, hazardous waste collection, and Kingfield Festival.

Because David Muschenheim announced his resignation from the board earlier this week, it was agreed that the board candidate receiving the seventh-highest vote total at the annual meeting would complete the remaining one year of Muschenheim’s term.  The top six candidates will each serve two-year terms.  Linnes-Robinson reminded the board that alternates may attend and speak at board meetings but cannot vote.

Theisen Building:
Motzenbecker said that the Lander Group, developer of the former Theisen building, may ask KFNA for financial assistance for the site.  Lander has not purchased the property as the company is awaiting environmental clean-up of the site.

23 W. 38th Street:
Linnes-Robinson reported that the duplex at 23 W. 38th Street is nearly complete; the site is owned by the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority.  Motzenbecker suggested holding a party or celebration to mark the completion of construction.

23 W. 38th Street:
Linnes-Robinson said that the Nicollet Avenue lighting project proposed for 36th Street to 40th Street has received approval from city councilmembers Dan Niziolek and Robert Lilligren.  An assessment hearing will be held in June.

Farmer’s Market:
Motzenbecker said that Time-Warner, the owner of the lot that hosts the Kingfield Farmer’s Market, has refused to sign a contract allowing the market to continue at the site in 2005.  Instead, Tim ?, the owner of Frame Ups on Nicollet Avenue will allow KFNA to host the market in the lot at his business.  The property is zoned commercial but a conditional use permit will likely be granted for the market to operate on the new site.

Meeting Adjourned:
Knowles moved to adjourn; Ingram seconded.  The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Sean Wherley.

KFNA Board Secretary – Sean Wherley
KFNA Board President – David Motzenbecker

Meeting Minutes
April 6, 2005
MLK Park
7:00pm

Attendance: Steve Brandt, Peter Hallstrom, Mark Hinds, Steve Jevning, Danya Leebaw, and Kathleen Varner
KFNA Staff: Joanna S. Hallstrom, NRP Project Organizer KFNA

1) Introductions: none.

2) Minutes Approval: postponed to May meeting

3) Recap of the March Community Meetings:

Attendance was low but the effort was important. KBP members and a handful of neighborhood residents had the opportunity to articulate their personal values and goals for the bridge during the group discussion period. Hinds recorded all of the comments.

Other Business:

* A sub group of KBP met last week to work on the budget for this project. Hinds requested more time outside of the regular monthly KBP meeting to organize financial strategies, plan for grant opportunities and create a budget. The goal of the financial meetings is to make sure KBP is set up to move forward with fundraising, the RFQ process etc.

* To Note: With the approval of the cross-town reconstruction Public Works may move ahead quickly with the 35W reconstruction.

4) Communication Architecture for KBP:

Leebaw, who has eight years of marketing experience, facilitated a discussion to help develop KBP’s communication architecture. Leebaw passed out several handouts to guide the discussion.

Leebaw stated that the purpose of creating a communication architecture is to “guide the brand, media and design strategies.” It also helps to “capture the vision, values, character, and promise to each target, typically on one document” (from Leebaws hand out).

The committee brainstormed a list of target audiences from which to base their communication strategy and values (see list below).  Leebaw agreed to take the list and distil it down to common groups. The committee will work on working their vision and values.

In the discussion that followed, Leebaw talked about targeting people “psychographically “ (a term used in marketing to identify groups of people by interests and values).  Hinds commented that ethnic communities fall into many different groups and that it is important to be strategic in how KBP reaches out to each community. Jevning noted that this project will be difficult to sell to low-income residents and that thought must be given to how the project is communicated. When passing out flyers for the KBP community meeting, P. Hallstrom met concern from residents about how to balance assistance for people’s basic needs in the neighborhood with funding public art. Jevning also noted that the Riverlake Greenway should be distinguished from the Midtown Greenway. Leebaw wrapped up the discussion by saying that it is most important what people see and that KBP needs to know who will be seeing their advertising and treat each group appropriately.

Regarding values “bridging communities” and the mission to reconnect neighborhoods is primary. Hinds commented that the “building communities” idea will draw more support then simply a push for new infrastructure and public art. Leebaw responded that the artistic piece is important in creating leads to funders interested in building projects. Jevning noted that we need to end up with a constituency that reflects the community that is targeted.

Target Audience List

* City residents (kids, family, elderly) / “bridge users”
* Immediate neighbors (live close to the bridge)
* People who use the RiverLake Greenway
* Business owners
* Political Arena (elected officials)
* Beaurocrats (public works)
* Institutions / Organizations
* Funders
* Historical Connections (before / after)
* Property owners
* Artists (appreciate / aesthetics)
* Press / Media
* Designers

Values List:

* Community – inclusiveness/ diversity
* Aesthetics
* Environment
* Safety
* Function
* Precedent setting / Process and outcome
* Visionary
* Historic
* “Walkability” / Pedestrian friendly
* Identity

5) July 30th Parade

J. Hallstrom gave a report on the parade permits. Permits will not be needed from the State of Minnesota to cross the 40th street pedestrian bridge nor will permits be needed from the Park and Recreation Board to end the parade at MLK Park. KBP does need to inform MLK Park and Phelps Park (proposed parade start) program staff about the parade and work with them to coordinate any details.

The parade route must be submitted with the permit application to the City of Minneapolis no later then 5 days prior to the event. The city will determine how many police officers / barricades will be needed to block roads along the parade path. This is depends on the number of people participating in the parade (i.e. if there are over 300 people and the parade length is more then 3 blocks more police support will be needed).  Physical barricades will be needed at main intersections.  Clearly marked volunteers may barricade smaller streets. Police officers must be at the front and back of the parade.

It was recommended that KBP hire the police reserve to patrol the parade because their services cost less.

To hire the police reserve a request must be sent in writing to:

Ron Haffman
1811 University Ave. N.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55418

The actual cost will be negotiated after the letter is received.

The committee discussed who is going to plan/coordinate the parade. J. Hallstrom will be primarily responsible for coordinating the Kingfield Festival and will not be able to be too involved with the parade. J. Hallstrom will be able to work on the permits needed to the parade.

No one stepped forward at this meeting to lead the parade organizing.  Hinds will try to recruit volunteers to help with the parade at the KFNA annual meeting on April 18th. Hinds will also try to post notice with Tifft for the Bryant Neighborhood.

J. and P. Hallstrom volunteered to walk the proposed parade route and time it. The proposed route is from Phelps Park at 40th Street and Park Ave. along 40th  Street to MLK Park at 40th   Street and Nicollet Ave.

6) Out Reach

The committee discussed which groups to promote the bridge project to and solicit support from. The list below was created and people volunteer to gather contact information for each entity:

* Churches along 40th street or near to -Brandt
* KFNA local businesses –
* Politicians / Beaurocrats – Hinds
* Residents
* Local non-profits – Brandt
* Other neighborhood organizations – Brandt
* Bike shops / bikers – Brandt
* Media – Brandt
* Runners (runny room, runny clubs) – Brandt

7) Partnership

The committee discussed what it means to become a partner / support of KBP and what the criteria is for adding partners. Jevning made the distinction that supporters are individuals, businesses and other groups that simply give financially to the project. He added that partners would be more like the local churches, unit of government, organizations and businesses that stand behind the project as well as support it financially.

The committee would like to look at other models of support/partnership building. Brandt offered to contact the Midtown Greenway Project representative and inquire about their strategies. The committee was in agreement that support-building efforts need to be community driven.

Hinds suggested a “dedication program” to raise financial support (i.e. contributions categories for giving toward various architectural features of the bridge).

Regarding partnership it was suggested to have a partnership agreement – criteria still needs to be decided. P. Hallstrom felt it important to maintain ways for people to be casually involved as well such as the helping with the parade.

Home
oem xp software buy oem mac soft replica mobile phones